The hotel of the Monastery in Rila was blessed
The old wing of the hotel of the Monastery in Rila was built in 1939. It was nationalized after 1944 and was used by “Balkantourist”. In 1990, the OOD “Rila monastery” was created and it took control of the complex.
The previous abbot, the bishop Ioan, had a contract with “Daru-AV” OOD, owned by Atanas Iliev, boss of the Bank for agricultural credit. The holding had to manage, support and modrenize the 10 hotel and market buildings and 2893 decares of monastery-owned lands. In 1993, the partners loaned 1,3 million dollars from the BZK to make the hotels larger and to buy out the rights to build the new hotel “Tsarev vrah” and a restaurant in the complex.
Abbot Evlogii took charge of the lawsuit, submitted to the court by the bankrupt bank BZK. After years of legal action, the monastery reached an agreement out of court, and now has the complex back.