150 years since the construction of the temple ‘St. George’ in Smolian
Today in Smolian are going to start the celebrations on the occasion of 150 years since the construction of the Orthodox temple вЂSt. George’. Bishop Antonii is going to open the celebrations this evening in the exhibition hall вЂPeter Staikov’. The delegate of the Plovdiv metropolitan is going to say a solemn mass in the church tomorrow. After that a votive offering will be served for all laity. The Mayor of Smolian Dora Iankova is expected to attend the liturgy.
The ceremonies on the occasion of the anniversary have been organized by the Church guardianship of the temple вЂSt. George’ and the municipality of Smolian.
The church was built on an old consecrated ground in 1858 and the belfry was placed in 1904.